Difference between revisions of "Minutes OpenIRC 20120704"

From IntereditionWiki

(New page: = Transcript = 20:00 <@reynaert> hi all, guess it's time we'd kick this meeting off hm? 20:00 [Users #interedition] 20:00 [@_tla] [@reynaert] [@scribe] [ _rhd] [ ljo] 20:00 -!- Irssi: #i...)
(No difference)

Revision as of 21:07, 4 July 2012

Transcript

20:00 <@reynaert> hi all, guess it's time we'd kick this meeting off hm? 20:00 [Users #interedition] 20:00 [@_tla] [@reynaert] [@scribe] [ _rhd] [ ljo] 20:00 -!- Irssi: #interedition: Total of 5 nicks [3 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 2 normal] 20:00 <@_tla> should we give it a couple of minutes to see if anyone else joins? 20:01 <@reynaert> except that it seems a little odd to me to discuss a bootcamp programm (item 1 agenda) if the local organizer's not here 20:01 <@reynaert> _tla: *nod* think so 20:01 <@reynaert> let's give it another 4-5 mins 20:01 -!- msirtep [~chatzilla@d086000.adsl.hansenet.de] has joined #interedition 20:03 <@reynaert> msirtep: hi, was just saying it would be awkward discussing any program without the local organiser being here :) 20:03 < msirtep> hi all 20:03 [Users #interedition] 20:03 [@_tla] [@reynaert] [@scribe] [ _rhd] [ ljo] [ msirtep] 20:03 -!- Irssi: #interedition: Total of 6 nicks [3 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 3 normal] 20:03 -!- _moz [~moz@213.138.40.234] has joined #interedition 20:04 < ljo> . 20:04 <@reynaert> we're giving it until 1805 UTC to see if more will join 20:04 < _moz> hello everyone 20:06 <@reynaert> okay, guess we're complete for this episode, maybe others will join along the line 20:06 <@reynaert> just for the record: I'm chairing this one 20:07 <@reynaert> and to immediately add a point to the agenda 20:07 <@reynaert> did we have a volunteer for the next one? 20:07 < msirtep> i thought nick offered 20:07 < msirtep> for August 20:08 < msirtep> and myself for september 20:08 <@_tla> i think that's right 20:08 <@reynaert> okay, I'll put that in the minutes 20:08 <@reynaert> great, covered until September 20:08 <@_tla> yep it's in the logs that way from last month 20:08 <@reynaert> Okay, moving on: what do we want to say about the bootcamp program? 20:09 <@scribe> Is this the Hamburg bootcamp or the Leuven bootcamp? 20:09 <@_tla> hamburg 20:09 < msirtep> first: how many will be there? 20:09 * _moz raises hand 20:10 * _tla will come a day late 20:10 <@reynaert> I will be there, but only for the last day I'm afraid 20:10 <@reynaert> (and the night before that :)) 20:10 < _rhd> I will be there 20:10 <@scribe> I would like to come but have been so busy I haven't even looked at accommodations or travel. 20:11 < ljo> I will be there. Probably arrive Monday. 20:11 <@_tla> _rhd: you mentioned in may that some of your colleagues wanted to come too? 20:11 <@reynaert> scribe: travel is just any train up, isn't it? accomodation might be harder 20:11 < msirtep> oh I think we have plenty of accomodation here in hamburg 20:12 < msirtep> did we get any applications by email? 20:12 <@reynaert> msirtep: I think only that one by Susan Brown 20:12 < _rhd> @tla: yeah Gertjan, and another programmer will be there 20:12 <@scribe> reynaert, yes, I think Hamburg is near by :) 20:13 <@scribe> Our proposal was denied by CLARIN/DARIAH 20:13 <@scribe> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1prlubf8nYuTCY7HR_uqWRA3bbxBi4WJjQ3trdQVg5R0/edit 20:13 <@reynaert> msirtep: oh and Adam Dudzack informed, but didn't get back tome 20:13 <@scribe> so we're not presenting in Hamburg 20:14 <@reynaert> and Andrea Scotti might be there, but his communication was as he his: enthusiastic but chaotically unclear 20:14 <@scribe> this bootcamp is self-funded, yes? 20:14 <@reynaert> scribe: afraid so, yes 20:14 < msirtep> mmh I heard the catering is sponsored by the dh 20:15 < msirtep> so I there will be plenty to eat... 20:15 <@scribe> reynaert, no probs. I'm definitely willing. Plus, I want to see Hamburg! 20:15 <@_tla> the catering for the bootcamp? 20:15 < msirtep> yep 20:15 <@_tla> nice. :) 20:15 <@scribe> cool, free food. 20:15 < _rhd> thats nice 20:15 < ljo> Great 20:15 <@reynaert> Excellent, well done DH :) 20:16 < msirtep> I'll report that back 20:16 <@reynaert> so a rough head count migh be anywhere between 8 and 12 I think? 20:16 < msirtep> so we're about 10 participants more or less 20:16 <@reynaert> *nod* think so 20:17 <@reynaert> Doug will also likely be there 20:17 < msirtep> oh yes and Alex Czmiel 20:17 < msirtep> well he wasn't sure 20:18 <@reynaert> *nod* but definitely 10(+) then, fair enough certainly for an unsponsored one (except for food ;-)) 20:18 <@reynaert> do we want to list anything on the program on the wiki/site? 20:19 <@reynaert> I think it would be basically just day 1: hack, day 2: hack, day 3: hack/present? 20:19 <@scribe> :) 20:19 < ljo> Location, start stop etc also 20:19 <@scribe> yeah, all the details at a single URL are nice. 20:19 <@reynaert> I think it would be useful to have some 'open space' for presentations, is for some this may be a requirement to argue their participation 20:19 <@_tla> well, day 1 introduce / talk a bit / hack 20:20 <@_tla> so that collaborators can find each other. 20:20 <@reynaert> *nod* 20:20 <@reynaert> okay: d1:talk/connect/hack, d2:hack, d3:hack/present 20:20 <@reynaert> agreed? 20:21 <@reynaert> (If so, I will put it on the site/wiki - including a note about catering :)) 20:21 < _rhd> ok 20:21 < _moz> which are the days? 20:21 <@reynaert> msirtep: time? location? 20:22 < _moz> in your mail, it said 15-18 20:22 < _moz> that makes four days by my count 20:22 <@reynaert> _moz: quite right 20:22 < msirtep> yes 4 is what i thought 20:22 <@reynaert> so: d1:talk/connect/hack, d2:hack, d3:hack, d4:hack//present 20:23 < msirtep> :-) 20:23 < _moz> alright 20:24 < msirtep> Should we start late on Sunday? I guess people will arrive late but maybe event too late for a late start 20:24 < msirtep> Is anyone arriving on Saturday? 20:24 < _moz> i might be 20:25 < msirtep> that's pair programming 20:25 < _moz> :) 20:25 < _moz> not sure yet, i'll send you a note 20:26 <@reynaert> okay.. so Sunday late is the official start? 20:26 < msirtep> yes, let's say 15:00 ?? 20:26 <@reynaert> okay 20:27 <@reynaert> and the location will be indicated at the DH venue? 20:28 < msirtep> I will put that information on the interedition wiki. I got a room number but want to check back 20:28 < msirtep> and a post on the dh-site 20:28 <@reynaert> sure okay, I'll leave a place holder for that 20:28 <@reynaert> post on dh-site: +1! 20:29 <@_tla> and possibly even a tweet or two? :) 20:29 <@reynaert> *nod* 20:29 <@reynaert> noted 20:30 < msirtep> yes 20:30 <@reynaert> anymore on the program then? 20:30 * reynaert kind of trying to watch the tim too :) 20:31 < msirtep> I think we can sort that out on that Sunday people who arrive late 20:31 < msirtep> I mean later than Sunday, 20:31 <@reynaert> *nod*, agreed 20:31 < msirtep> should send their topics to me by mail 20:32 <@reynaert> I'll list that clearly too, but I estimate most will bring their topics in on the day itself 20:32 <@reynaert> okay, moving on in that case 20:32 <@reynaert> any reporting on ongoing tasks? 20:33 <@reynaert> Gregor's not here, but he did in fact a bit of Wiki gardening 20:33 <@reynaert> as did with respect to spam, which seemed to have finally solved that problem 20:33 <@reynaert> as for the ESTS bootcamp: _rhd and me will only start in August/September activities on that 20:34 <@reynaert> (I'm guessing nobody has interesting leads to follow up funding? :-p) 20:35 <@_tla> if only 20:35 <@reynaert> _tla: then it's up to you regarding the mailing lists etc. 20:35 <@scribe> _moz, thanks for starting up stuff on http://dev.interedition.eu/ for the annotation fragment-context link, but it seems it doesn't start again on reboot. Can we get something added to /etc/init.d and in /etc/rc3.d for that? 20:36 <@_tla> right, so really just an interim report 20:36 <@scribe> (sorry for posting late to reynaert's call for 'ongoing tasks'. 20:36 <@_tla> we're trying to get google to turn our apps domain into an "apps for education" domain 20:36 <@_tla> which is possibly hitting a little bit of dutch bureaucracy 20:37 <@_tla> but in the meantime we're using the apps domain as is for static mailing lists. 20:37 <@_tla> but they're the sort of lists you can't subscribe yourself to - what we really want is a google groups mailing list. 20:37 < _moz> scribe: that was msirtep who started it; but i can add it to the startup 20:37 <@reynaert> (that's okay scribe, a bit of asynchronous chat keeps it lively :)) 20:37 <@_tla> so, maybe next month that will be sorted out. 20:37 < msirtep> the jetty is not in init.d, that's the problem 20:38 <@_tla> at which point we will be able to have whatever mailing lists / groups we want. 20:38 <@_tla> (the end) 20:39 <@reynaert> _rhd: Google wants us to connect through Surfnet/Surfconext through Royal Academy level (I&A, HQ) 20:39 <@reynaert> _rhd: I take it you agree that will be a hilariously impossible bureaucratic no go? 20:40 < _rhd> We already use surfconext in one project 20:40 < _rhd> we have connections with I&A 20:40 <@_tla> i wrote back to the google contact saying this was no go in my estimation, but she is on holiday until the end of next week. 20:40 < _rhd> its not easy, but it can be done 20:40 <@_tla> _rhd: they point is that they want knaw to centrally administer a knaw google apps domain, then delegate some subdomain to us 20:40 <@_tla> or maybe administer the subdomain for us 20:41 <@_tla> but we already *have* a domain, and it has to be administrable by people who aren't attached to knaw. 20:41 <@_tla> i think we can all agree we don't want to move to interedition.google.knaw.nl or some such 20:42 < _rhd> ok 20:43 <@scribe> ) 20:43 < _rhd> we have to talk about the details some time 20:43 < ljo> Yes, that is unwanted 20:43 <@reynaert> ok, so I guess that is only the plan B then (interedition.google.knaw.nl), and we try to get Google to help us to apps on interedition.eu 20:44 <@reynaert> that wraps it up for item 3 on the agenda then, if no one objects 20:45 <@_tla> in my opinion the plan B is to keep it as is, with mailing list that only admins can change, and only up to 10 admins possible 20:45 < _rhd> maybe Joris and I can talk in person about all of this 20:45 <@_tla> unless knaw/surf come back with a better proposal. 20:45 <@_tla> _rhd: i am working my internal google connections on this too 20:45 <@_tla> so i don't think this will be our only option. 20:46 < _rhd> I see 20:46 < _rhd> not all knaw hosted websites have to at knaw.nl 20:46 < _rhd> surf connexts is only about single logon 20:46 <@_tla> true but this is more than a website, it's a google apps domain 20:46 <@_tla> which they don't even have one of yet. 20:47 <@_tla> anyway yeah this can all be discussed later 20:47 <@reynaert> okay, so we'll leave it that then - tnx to _tla for the update 20:48 <@reynaert> which leave the *other* item 3 on the agenda… 20:48 <@reynaert> What has been going on in your corner of the OSDC? 20:48 <@reynaert> Feel free to discuss any work you'd like to share or comment 20:48 <@reynaert> As for me: I'm finishing my stylistics service in true Interedition fashion 20:49 <@reynaert> I'll present on it on DH2012 (Thursday) 20:49 <@reynaert> unfortunately I won't make it to deploy it on a serer, so that'll have to wait until August 20:49 <@reynaert> but it will be available on Github soon 20:50 < _rhd> Bram and I have been working on a new version of CollateX, which aims to collate complete chapters against each other with high quality 20:50 <@reynaert> *nice* 20:51 < ljo> *For sure* 20:52 < _rhd> So one of the things I want to do at the bootcamp is discuss and test this version with you guys and prepare a new release if everything turns out ok 20:52 < msirtep> CATMA 4 is in the test phase, we find lots of interesting bugs 20:52 <@scribe> We're improving our image management gadget-- which facilitates assembling a 'document' and 'pages' with images for each page-- with all sorts of handy tools, for dragging and dropping images from a local data store, pattern matching image names with regular expressions, slurping remote image URLs off web pages, browsing images from an Alfresco (or other CMS supporting CMIS) repository. 20:52 < ljo> I work on the exist-db integration, but will be on holiday as much as possible until 14th. Present on dh-friday 20:53 <@scribe> _rhd, great. the people here are already very happy with collatex' output! 20:53 <@_tla> i'm frantically working on the stemmaweb tools and analysis, also presenting on the friday of DH 20:53 < _moz> i'm working on a magical manuscript-dating idea that will be presented on thursday 20:53 <@_tla> i was able to get some budget for contract programming work, and they have doubled the performance speed of my DB and they are nearly done giving me user login support. 20:53 <@scribe> _moz, cool. 20:54 <@_tla> and the nice thing about the latter is that it's going open source, so i'll be able to use it in any other web applications i make (in perl of course.) 20:56 <@scribe> I'm excited to get together and hear about all this stuff in person! I miss you guys! (gender-specifics not intended) 20:56 <@scribe> too few geeks around here. 20:56 <@_tla> aww :) 20:56 <@reynaert> (just a note that I will close the official part of this meeting in 2 minutes.) 20:57 <@reynaert> (so if you want anything listed in the minutes.. better say it now :)) 20:57 <@reynaert> (otherwise: thanks for attending and see you all in Hamburg) 20:57 < _moz> i'm also excited to see all of you again 20:57 < _moz> note that down reynaert 20:57 < _moz> :) 20:57 < ljo> Good, I really need to go at 21CEST 20:58 <@reynaert> _moz: that made it in the *nick* of time 20:58 <@reynaert> meeting closed guys and girl! Tnx 20:58 < ljo> See you there, looking forward to it. 20:58 < _rhd> looking forward to it 20:59 < msirtep> you're all very welcome!