Christof Schöch French literature background, working on digital infrastructure for humanities scholars (DARIAH), interested in connecting TextGrid TEIs to Voyeur; using lightly marked up TEI .
What am I working on?
- DARIAH project; my part in it: understanding how humanities scholars work, find tools and methods supporting their work, convince them to use such tools, teach them how to use such tools.
- Working on plans to connect the Textgrid repository, a collection of about 400MB of text encoded in TEI, with the Voyeur/Voyant online tools; as part of DARIAH.
- Working also on a little very simple tool for publishing TEI texts inside a Drupal site, called TEICHI, but only on the conceptional side
What do I hope to achieve?
- I am not a programmer, so I do not really expect achieve much writing of code
- But I hope to bring in some ideas about what scholars need
What tools do I know or use?
- User of Voyeur/Voyant and Mandala Browser
- Testing of CATMA, Delta Script for R
- Generally, trying to learn R
What sort of text analysis am I interested in?
- Analysis of lightly encoded texts (for instance, using bibliographic metadata, a bit of text structure, or place and persons names)
- Analysis of texts for literary structures, e.g. automatically identify passages of text according to their text type, such as narrative, descriptive, dialogue, argumentative types.
How do I envision tools working together for this?
- need to manage a close relation between tools for enriching texts (e.g. lemmatizer, named entity recognition) and tools using those enrichments.
- Martin Mueller, "encoding for decoding"